As I entered my dorm suite last night, I noticed a small North Korean flag taped to the door. Inside, the common room was strewn with plastic buckets, water cooler jugs, and bags of Korean rice. Also quite a few rotting vegetables. It seemed that a very sloppy North Korean student had been living there but had left in a hurry.
In the morning I knocked on the other bedroom door. Nobody answered. A quick chat with the front desk confirmed my suspicions:
Will I have a roommate? Yes. Is he Korean? Yes, from North Korea. Where is he? He went back to his country. When is he coming back? I don't know.
I then went to the housing office, where I explained why an American with an interest in working for the U.S. government could not live with a North Korean. It took some time to express this in Chinese, but the office was happy to change my room. I have switched into a new suite with no mess and, for now, no roommate.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment